TCL, headquartered in China and one of the largest consumer electronics brands in the world, has been America’s fastest-growing television brand for four years running. After a banner year in 2017, including product award wins from leading consumer tech publications PCMag.com, CNET, Reviewed.com and USA Today for its acclaimed P-Series TV, TCL needed to raise the bar yet again heading into 2018. As the technology industry converged in Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in early January 2018, TCL set its sights on leveraging this massive, noisy event to introduce its brand-new product lineup for the year – and to achieve even more acclaim and product recognition than the Company received in 2017.
The ZM Communications team partnered closely with TCL to implement a communications strategy that would achieve pre-show buzz, a huge at-show splash and follow on with post-event momentum.
The efforts kicked off with an embargoed pre-event Web briefing with top-tier influencers to share the Company’s news and announcements prior to the 2017 holiday break. At CES, we executed a standing-room-only press conference complete with product demos and partner walk-ons during press day on Monday, January 8 at the Mandalay Bay. Additionally, the ZM team set up a series of booth tours, one-on-one media/analyst briefings, video interviews and product demonstrations to raise awareness and educate key influencers on the 2018 TCL Roku Smart TV lineup and brand new TCL Roku Alto Soundbar.
Our objectives were to drive positive media coverage for TCL’s business growth and new products, including the introduction of a brand new product category with the TCL Roku Alto Soundbar, creating buzz and online conversation about TCL before, during and after CES. In addition to submitting for and briefing editorial teams for a series of top product and “best of” awards, the ZM team worked tirelessly to educate key influencers about TCL’s brand in order to move the needle from being a “budget brand” to being a “top TV brand to watch” in 2018.
- More than 20 top tier media contacts attended our CES pre-briefing prior to the show to receive TCL’s news under embargo
- Secured TCL coverage in pre-CES trend/”What to Watch” stories in CNET, WIRED, Engadget, Digital Trends, PCMag.com, Bloomberg, The Verge, and others
- Standing-room only at our 2018 CES Press Conference with attendance by more than 500 media, analysts and industry influencers
- Close to 800 pieces of coverage resulted from this communications strategy, reaching more than 17 billion readers. Coverage appeared across top-tier business, tech, consumer and gadget media, including WIRED, The Verge, Digital Trends, Engadget, CNET, PCMag.com, Gear Patrol, Techlicious and many others.
- Secured and staffed ~20 onsite interviews and booth tours with outlets such as NBC 5 San Jose, The Wall Street Journal, Consumer Reports, Reuters, Wirecutter, Reviewed.com, Digital Trends, Cord Cutter News, AVS Forum, Moor Insights and others.
- Named “Best of CES” award winner for the brand new TCL 6-Series from key outlets like AVS Forum, HD Guru, NPD Group, Gear Patrol, Engadget, Reviewed.com, High-Def Digest, IDG, PCMag.com, Digital Trends and others; Named Top 50 Global CE Brand by IDG